Non-Food Weight Loss Incentives
So, you’ve made some progress in your journey and you want to celebrate. Of course you do! Losing weight is hard, so pat yourself on the back.
Some people like to have a ‘naughty’ food treat after their weigh in, but what about if that doesn’t work for you? I know for me a celebratory kebab turns into celebratory cheesy chips and celebratory chocolate cake and celebratory booze… you get the idea! Before I know it I’ve gained what I lost and then some.
Luckily there are plenty of rewards that don’t involve food. So with that mind, how can you treat yourself without jeopardising your weight loss?
1. Firstly, if you want to shout your success from the rooftops, do it! Share your weight loss in our Facebook group and inspire those who might be struggling
The group is super friendly and supportive and the warm welcome you receive is bound to get those endorphins going.
2. Go shopping for some new clothes that fit the slimmer you – some people save up the money they would have spent on takeaways and have fakeaways instead.
You can always try local second hand shops if you don’t want to spend loads.
3. Treat yourself to some pampering! You can often find great deals online on massages, facials and manicures, and taking time out for yourself is always a good thing.
4. Buy yourself something that other people usually buy for you, such as a big bunch of flowers.
5. What about treating yourself to a new recipe? Pick something that you wouldn’t normally have and give it a try!
We have lots of inspiration for you in our cookbook.
6. Splurge on a box set you’ve been eyeing up or clear your diary to watch that movie you’ve had on your Netflix list for ages.
You could even gift yourself a trip to the cinema with some slimming-friendly snacks!
7. Have a look for a fancy new lunchbox or water bottle. You might as well slim in style!
8. One gift that will keep on giving is to treat yourself to a cooking class – there are plenty on offer these days and the skills you learn might give you the confidence to try even more healthy recipes!
If a cooking class isn’t for you, what about learning a different skill, such as one-off painting or creative writing classes, or even life-drawing if you’re brave enough!
8. Have a look for a new kitchen gadget that you can use for your healthier meals. I love my Actifry and can’t remember life without it now!
The Instant Pot is also really popular, have a look at our review here.
9. If you’re wanting to become more active there are lots of fitness trackers on the market at the moment, from ones that simply count your steps to ones that could probably become sentient and take over the world!
10. Lastly, my favourite treat. A new pair of pyjamas. For me there is nothing like celebrating with a bath, a face mask, brand new pyjamas and crisp, clean bedding. Rock and roll, I know!
Let us know what your favourite non-food treats are!
Emma is a registered doctor and trainee Psychiatrist with an interest in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. She lives with her husband, Rich, and dog, Dexter in Sheffield.
Fallen off the wagon and need some motivation, or want to help others on their journey?
Our Facebook group is growing by the day. If you haven’t joined yet head over there and take a look. You wouldn’t want to miss out on the fun would you?
You might just find the inspiration you need from our awesome members. If you’ve joined already why not invite any friends that may find it helpful?