Our Dirty Rice is the best slimming-friendly fried rice recipe, and a really easy meal for anyone counting calories or following a diet plan like Weight Watchers.
Also in these categories:
For the full list of ingredients and comprehensive instructions, please see the recipe card at the end of this post. Before you scroll, there’s important stuff to know in the blurb!
Yes, Dirty Rice: A combination of fried rice and dirty rice. Chinese and Cajun together to form the tastiest fried rice ever.
We’re huge fans of Asian flavours as they are rich and savoury, and this Dirty Rice is no exception!
Food often reminds us of places we’ve been in times past. We had dirty rice whilst on a business trip to the US and it got us thinking… could we combine dirty rice with fried rice? You bet we can!
Technically speaking – this Dirty Fried Rice isn’t “dirty rice” in the traditional sense. The “dirty” comes from the colour typically produced by adding chicken livers to the dish, but we’ve skipped them in our recipe; feel free to add them in.
What diets is this Dirty Rice suitable for?
This recipe is suitable if you’re gluten free as long as you swap out the following ingredients for gluten free versions;
- Stock cubes
- Worcestershire Sauce
You could also enjoy this Dirty Rice if you’re dairy free.
Please make sure to double or triple check all of your ingredients if you’re cooking for people with allergies.
How Weight Watchers friendly is this Dirty Rice recipe?
- You need to count 10 Points per portion of this Dirty Rice recipe if you’re on WW Green.
- You need to count 9 Points per portion of this Dirty Rice recipe if you’re on WW Blue.
- You need to count 9 Points per portion of this Dirty Rice recipe if you’re on WW Purple.
If you were wanting to reduce the amount of points, you could always halve the portion and serve as a side dish!
Do you need any special ingredients to make Dirty Rice?
There are no fancy ingredients in this Dirty Rice. You can pick up the Cajun Seasoning in most supermarkets – just check the nutritional values of whichever brand you choose to use as they can vary.
This post contains affiliate links: what this means
We recommend investing in a good frying pan that will last for many years and has a lid, like this one on Amazon.
If you can’t find cajun spice mix at the supermarket (or use lots of it!) you can get it in bulk online too.
Cook the rice according to the packet instructions, adding the bay leaf to the water before cooking. Set the rice aside once cooked.
Add the stock cube to the 125ml of boiling water.
Mist a large frying pan with low calorie cooking spray, then cook the onions, pork mince and bacon until they are nicely browned
Add the Cajun seasoning and Worcestershire sauce. Stir and allow to cook for another minute.
Add the celery and stock, stir and cook for a minute.
Stir in the peppers and spring onion. Cook for a minute or two, until they just start to soften
Finally, stir in the cooked rice, making sure it is all has a nice deep golden colour.
What should you should serve with Dirty Rice?
Dirty Rice is really a meal in itself. If you wanted to serve it as an accompaniment then you could serve a smaller portion of the rice as a side!
Can you cook Dirty Rice another way?
This recipe isn’t suitable for alternative cooking methods. It is super quick and easy to make!
How do you know when Dirty Rice is cooked?
When the rice is tender, the meat is browned and cooked through, and the vegetables tender, this recipe is cooked!
This should take approx 25 minutes on the hob.
Standard advice here in the UK is to cook food until it has reached 70°C and stayed at that temperature for 2 minutes. This is to keep your family safe.
How long can you keep Dirty Rice in the fridge?
Freezing and reheating rice is often a concern for a lot of people, and it’s one of the things we get asked about quite frequently.
As we all know you can get food poisoning from eating reheated rice, but, it’s not actually the reheating that can cause issues, it is, in fact, the way that the rice has been stored beforehand where the problem begins.
Without getting too technical uncooked rice can contain spores that are resistant to heat and can survive the cooking process. If cooked rice is left standing at room temperature these spores can grow into bacteria. At this point, the bacteria will be destroyed by reheating the rice thoroughly.
If you intend keeping any leftover rice dishes then you should do the following:
- Cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within one hour) then fridge or freeze it immediately. You can split larger portions up into smaller batches to cool quicker.
- Freeze as soon as the rice is cold.
- Reheat and use any leftover rice (stored in the fridge) within one day.
- When you reheat any rice, always check it is steaming hot all the way through.
- Don’t reheat cooked rice more than once.
For more information about reheating rice please take a look at the NHS website.
Can I freeze Dirty Rice?
Yes you can! This recipe can be frozen, but please remember to consider the advice above, and do the following;
- Freeze it as soon as it is cold enough.
- Use a container or bag that is suitable for freezing.
Don’t forget to add a label with what it is, and on what date you put it in the freezer!
How do I reheat Dirty Rice?
From chilled: Place in a microwave proof container with loosely fitting lid and heat for 4-7 minutes until piping hot.
From frozen: Allow to defrost, and heat covered in the microwave for 3-5 minutes then stir. Cook for a further 5-7 minutes until piping hot.
PRE-ORDER Our NEW Quick & Easy Planner NOW
Our Dirty Rice is the best, slimming-friendly fried rice recipe, and a really easy meal for anyone counting calories or following a diet plan like Weight Watchers or similar.
- KCals 391
- Carbs 45G
- WW Points:
- 9 Green
- 9 Blue
- 8 Purple
- Cook the rice according to the packet instructions, adding the bay leaf to the water before cooking. Set the rice aside once cooked
- Add the stock cube to the 125ml of boiling water
- Mist a large frying pan with low calorie cooking spray, then cook the onions, pork mince and bacon until they are nicely browned
- Add the Cajun seasoning and Worcestershire sauce. Stir and allow to cook for another minute
- Add the celery and stock, stir and cook for a minute
- Stir in the peppers and spring onion. Cook for a minute or two, until they just start to soften
- Finally, stir in the cooked rice, making sure it is all has a nice deep golden colour
Looking for Slimming World Syns?
We agreed with Slimming World to remove their trademarked terms from our websiteFind out why here