Caramelised Onion Hummus
This Caramelised Onion Hummus is great to serve as a dip with practically anything – it’s a perfect slimming recipe when following a range of diet plans.
- healthy eating,
- smart points,
- weight watchers,
- Dairy Free,
- Everyday Light,
- Gluten Free,
- Quick Meals,
- Snacks and Sides,
You’ll notice that we use butter beans in this Caramelised Onion Hummus recipe, but you can use chickpeas if you prefer.
In fact, you can use pretty much whatever tinned beans you like. We like to use butter beans in our hummus as they have a really smooth consistency. If you fancied adding a little kick, you could also add a little chilli powder or hot sauce. Or for a lemony pep, why not add a squeeze of lemon juice?
What diets is this Caramelised Onion Hummus suitable for?
This Caramelised Onion Hummus recipe is suitable for dairy free, vegetarian and gluten free diets.
It can be made vegan as long as you use a vegan-friendly cooking spray.
Please make sure to double and triple check all of your ingredients if you’re cooking for people with allergies.
How Weight Watchers friendly is this Caramelised Onion Hummus recipe?
- You need to count 2 Points per portion of this Caramelised Onion Hummus recipe if you’re on WW Green.
- You need to count 0 Points per portion of this Caramelised Onion Hummus recipe if you’re on WW Blue.
- You need to count 0 Points per portion of this Caramelised Onion Hummus recipe if you’re on WW Purple.
Do you need any special ingredients to make Caramelised Onion Hummus?
The main thing you need to make this hummus is a blender/food processor.
When it comes to small kitchen electricals we often find that buying the cheapest isn’t always the best. You can pretty much guarantee that it’ll break.
So do yourself a favour and pick yourself a decent blender. Let it do all of the hard work for you!
There are plenty of blenders/food processors to choose from over on Amazon UK.
This post contains affiliate links: what this means
This Kenwood Compact Food Processor does the job really well and doesn’t take up too much space in your kitchen cupboard.
Spray a frying pan with some low calorie cooking spray and cook the onions over a high heat.
When the onion starts to brown add the balsamic vinegar and sweetener, then cook for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft.
Empty the contents into a food processor and then add all the other ingredients.
Pulse on high for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl then repeat until you get the consistency you prefer.
Add more salt and a little pepper if necessary and serve.
What could I serve with this Caramelised Onion Hummus?
Any of the following recipes would go great with our Caramelised Onion Hummus:
How do you know when this Caramelised Onion Hummus is cooked?
The onion needs to brown and become soft, then the rest of contents should be pulsed in a food processor for 30 seconds until you get the consistency you prefer.
Standard advice here in the UK is to cook food until it has reached 70°C and stayed at that temperature for 2 minutes. This is to keep your family safe.
How long can you keep Caramelised Onion Hummus in the fridge?
Once you’ve put it out, ideally you should eat it within 4 hours.
If you allow any leftovers to cool, make sure to refrigerate in a container with a lid and chill. You can keep leftovers of Caramelised Onion Hummus in the fridge for approximately 3 days or so.
Can I freeze Caramelised Onion Hummus?
Yes you can! This recipe can be frozen, but please remember to do the following;
- Freeze it as soon as it is cold enough.
- Use a container or bag that is suitable for freezing.
Don’t forget to add a label with what it is, and on what date you put it in the freezer!
How do I reheat Caramelised Onion Hummus?
From chilled or frozen:
Using the microwave: add a teaspoon or two of water and reheat in 10-second intervals until you’re happy with the texture and warmth.
Using the stovetop: reheat in a saucepan or a saute pan. Add a bit of water and keep stirring until you reach the right consistency.
Our NEW cookbook Everyday Light is OUT NOW!
Caramelised Onion Hummus
his Caramelised Onion Hummus is great to serve as a dip with practically anything – it’s a perfect slimming recipe when following a range of diet plans.
- KCals 103
- Carbs 20G
- 2 Green
- 0 Blue
- 0 Purple
- 1 tin Butter Beans you can use chickpeas, but we prefer butter beans
- 5 sprays Frylight Cooking Spray
- 1 Red Onion chopped
- 1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Granulated Sweetener you may need to use less depending on the sweetener used
- 2 Garlic Cloves crushed
- 1 tsp Salt you can add more later if you wish
- 1 Lemon juiced
We use a fan assisted oven for all of our recipes. Click here for our oven temperature conversion guide.
Please do not screenshot this. Recipes are updated often
- Spray a frying pan with some low calorie cooking spray and cook the onions over a high heat
- When the onion starts to brown add the balsamic vinegar and sweetener, then cook for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft
- Empty the contents into a food processor and then add all the other ingredients
- Pulse on high for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl then repeat until you get the consistency you prefer
- Add more salt and a little pepper if necessary and serve
LOOKING FOR SLIMMING WORLD SYNS?
We agreed with Slimming World to remove their trademarked terms from our websiteFind out why here
Love this Caramelised Onion Hummus recipe? Tag us!