If you like a chicken kebab, then you'll love this slimming friendly Chicken Shawarma – the ultimate Fakeaway whether you're counting calories or following a plan like Weight Watchers.
Also in these categories:
For the full list of ingredients and comprehensive instructions, please see the recipe card below. Before you scroll, there’s important stuff in the blurb!
A Chicken Shawarma that you can enjoy even if you’re counting calories or following a plan like Weight Watchers? Yes, it’s true!
This recipe is so quick and easy that it’ll be ready in less than the time that it would take your local takeaway to deliver. It’s no secret that we like our food with a little bit of extra heat, but you can make this Chicken Shawarma more or less spicy by just adjusting the amount of chilli flakes that you add.
Serve with a crisp, colourful salad to make a light, summertime dinner or with our Rustic Potato Wedges for a more filling meal.
What diets is this Chicken Shawarma suitable for?
This Chicken Shawarma recipe can be made suitable for dairy free diet by swapping the following ingredients out for dairy free alternatives;
- Fat free natural yoghurt
It can also be made gluten free by swapping the following ingredients out for gluten free alternatives;
- Weight Watchers low fat white wraps
Please make sure to double or triple check all of your ingredients if you’re cooking for people with allergies.
Do you need any special ingredients to make this Chicken Shawarma?
This post contains affiliate links. Find out what this means.
We cooked this on our Tefal OptiGrill, which senses how thick the meat is, and cooks it to your liking automatically – it’s true, we swear!
We’ve made a few recipes using the Tefal Optigrill, and we can honestly say it has given us perfect results every time!
Hints & Tips
Below we added some of our communities most common hints and tips. We hope you find them useful.
Send us a Hint or Tip
We love hearing from you, submit any tips or tricks you have for this dish and we’ll review them and add some of them here. Just click here.
SEND US a HINT & TIP, Or QUOTE for this recipe
we have your picture
Now we have your Hint & tip
we’ll check them over.
- Review We’ll review your Hint & Tip, and see if its suitable to use on the website.
- Name: %name%
- Recipe: %recipeName%
YOUR HINTS & TIPS
Due to the large number of submissions we recieve we’re afraid we’ll only inform you if we use it on the Recipe page - then we’ll send you some swag…
(Please remember others may of had the same idea as you!)
‘Super easy and extremely tasty.’
This post contains affiliate links: what this means
What could I serve with this Chicken Shawarma?
We love this Chicken Shawarma served alongside any of the following accompaniments:
How do you know when this Chicken Shawarma is cooked?
You should cook your chicken in the Tefal OptiGrill for around 10 minutes or until it’s cooked through.
Standard advice here in the UK is to cook food until it has reached 70°C and stayed at that temperature for 2 minutes. This is to keep your family safe.
How long can you keep Chicken Shawarma in the fridge?
These Chicken Shawarma really should be eaten immediately as otherwise you may find that the wrap goes soggy!
You can keep individual components in a container with a lid in the fridge for around 2 days or so.
Can I freeze Chicken Shawarma?
Yes, you can! The chicken for this recipe can be frozen before cooking, but please remember to do the following;
- Freeze it as soon as it is cold enough.
- Use a container or bag that is suitable for freezing.
Don’t forget to add a label with what it is, and on what date you put it in the freezer!
How do I reheat Chicken Shawarma?
From chilled: You can pop the chicken in the microwave for around 4-7 minutes or until piping hot.
From frozen: Defrost thoroughly and then follow the recipe from step 3 to cook. Make sure your chicken is piping hot before assembling the wraps.
ORDER Our NEW cookbook Budget NOW
If you like a chicken kebab, then you'll love this slimming friendly Chicken Shawarma - the ultimate Fakeaway whether you're counting calories or following a plan like Weight Watchers.
- KCals 295
- Carbs 11G
To make the wraps
- Put the chicken strips in a large bowl, then add all the remaining ingredients (apart from the wraps!)
- Spray with low calorie cooking spray, then mix well so that all the chicken pieces are coated. Cover and place in the fridge.
- Preheat the Tefal OptiGrill - Turn the grill on, select the chicken programme and then press OK.
- When the light turns blue and the machine beeps, this indicates that it is ready to cook.
- Place the chicken strips on the OptiGrill and close the lid.
- The indicator light will go through a series of colour changes to show the different degrees of cooking. When the indicator turns red and beeps, the chicken is ready.
- Remove the chicken from the grill using tongs.
- To assemble the shawarma, arrange a handful of iceberg lettuce on each wrap and divide the pickled cabbage between the two. Place the chicken on the pickled cabbage, then top with chopped tomatoes and onions.
- Drizzle over some of the yoghurt dressing, roll up the wraps, cut each one in half and serve.
To make the yoghurt dressing
- Mix all the ingredients together well
Looking for Slimming World Syns or Weight Watchers (WW) Points?
With ever-changing plans and point calculations, we have made the decision to remove WW Points from the website - referring to your individual plan or advice from your consultant is always going to give the most accurate results.
We agreed with Slimming World to remove their trademarked terms from our website
Love this Chicken Shawarma recipe? Tag us!