Spicy Oxtail Stew
Here's our Spicy Oxtail Stew. Easy to make in your Instant Pot or slow cooker. The perfect slimming friendly comfort food!
Also in these categories:
For the full list of ingredients and comprehensive instructions, please see the recipe card at the end of this post. Before you scroll, there’s important stuff to know in the blurb!
Oxtail is such an under-rated cut of beef, and it’s also extremely cheap!
1kg will serve 4-5 people and you can usually pick up 1kg of meat for around £5. You might not see it on display in your local butchers, but ask and they’ll probably have it. As with most cheaper cuts of meat, this recipe needs cooking slowly over a longer amount of time to make the meat tender. This recipe uses a slow cooker, but you could also use a casserole dish in your oven!
Inspired by a trip to the Bahamas, this recipe is rich, warming and filling – perfect for cold winter evenings with a side of mashed potatoes or rice and peas.
What diets is this Spicy Oxtail Stew suitable for?
This Spicy Oxtail Stew recipe is suitable for dairy free diets.
It can be made gluten free as long as you swap out the following ingredients for gluten free alternatives;
- Worcestershire sauce
Please make sure to double or triple check all of your ingredients if you’re cooking for people with allergies.
Do you need any special ingredients to make Spicy Oxtail Stew?
This post contains affiliate links. Find out what this means.
Aside from a slow cooker, you can also make this recipe on a casserole dish in your oven – just extend the cooking time until the meat is tender.
Oxtail can be a little tricky to find but if you ask your butcher, they will probably have some!
Send us a Hint or Tip
We love hearing from you, submit any tips or tricks you have for this dish and we’ll review them and add some of them here. Just click here.
SEND US a HINT & TIP, Or QUOTE for this recipe
we have your picture
Now we have your Hint & tip
we’ll check them over.
- Review We’ll review your Hint & Tip, and see if its suitable to use on the website.
- Name: %name%
- Recipe: %recipeName%
YOUR HINTS & TIPS
Due to the large number of submissions we recieve we’re afraid we’ll only inform you if we use it on the Recipe page - then we’ll send you some swag…
(Please remember others may of had the same idea as you!)
This post contains affiliate links: what this means
This Spicy Oxtail Stew recipe would go great with these sides;
How do you know when Spicy Oxtail Stew is cooked?
If using a slow cooker, your food will be ready when the timer has stopped, and you have given it an extra 15-20 minutes for the pressure to release.
If using an oven, cook until the meat is tender and completely cooked through.
Standard advice here in the UK is to cook food until it has reached 70°C and stayed at that temperature for 2 minutes. This is to keep your family safe.
How long can you keep Spicy Oxtail Stew in the fridge?
Once you’ve put it out, ideally you should eat it within 4 hours.
If you allow any leftovers to cool, make sure to refrigerate in a container with a lid and chill. You can keep leftovers of Spicy Oxtail Stew in the fridge for approximately 3 days or so.
Can I freeze Spicy Oxtail Stew?
Yes you can! This recipe can be frozen, but please remember to do the following;
- Freeze it as soon as it is cold enough.
- Use a container or bag that is suitable for freezing.
Don’t forget to add a label with what it is, and on what date you put it in the freezer!
How do I reheat Spicy Oxtail Stew?
From chilled: Place in a microwave proof container with loosely fitting lid and heat for 4-7 minutes until piping hot.
From frozen: Allow to defrost, and heat covered in the microwave for 3-5 minutes then stir. Cook for a further 5-7 minutes until piping hot.
ORDER Our NEW cookbook Budget NOW
Spicy Oxtail Stew
Here’s our Spicy Oxtail Stew. Easy to make in your Instant Pot or slow cooker. The perfect slimming friendly comfort food!
- KCals 585
- Carbs 34G
- Trim the Oxtail of all visible fat - you will need a very sharp knife. Be careful!
- Place the meat into a mixing bowl and season with the all purpose seasoning. Place seasoned meat into a ziplock bag and add the black pepper, gravy browning and 1tsp of minced garlic. Mix well and if possible place bag into the fridge and marinade over night. If you can't do this - it's fine, it just absorbs the flavours better.
- Spray the Instant Pot bowl with low calorie cooking spray and put into Sauté mode. Brown all sides of the meat, being careful to save the marinade in the bag.
- Remove the browned oxtail and set aside on a plate. Deglaze the Instant Pot with a bit of the stock, making sure to get all the bits off the bottom.
- Add one of the chopped brown onions, 1tsp of minced garlic and cook until the onions are soft.
- Return the oxtail to the Instant Pot, pour in the remaining marinade, add the allspice, the bunch of fresh thyme, habanero sauce and the rest of the beef stock.
- Bring the Instant Pot to the boil and then put the lid on. Make sure the valve is set to sealing, and set Manual mode for 30 minutes. Once the Instant Pot has come to pressure, the timer will count down. Leave the Instant pot for an additional 20 minutes after it has done for the pressure to release naturally.
- Open the Instant Pot and add in the carrots, tin of chopped tomatoes, the chopped spring onions, the other chopped brown onion.
- Place the lid back on the Instant Pot & place into Manual mode for 15 minutes. Once the Instant Pot has come to pressure, the timer will countdown. Leave the Instant pot for an additional 15/20 minutes after it has done for the pressure to release naturally.
- Add the tin of butter beans and stir well.
- If the stew needs thickening place into Saute mode without the lid and reduce for 5 minutes. Make sure to stir often.
- Serve on a bed of rice and peas.
Looking for Slimming World Syns or Weight Watchers (WW) Points?
With ever-changing plans and point calculations, we have made the decision to remove WW Points from the website - referring to your individual plan or advice from your consultant is always going to give the most accurate results.
We agreed with Slimming World to remove their trademarked terms from our website
Love this Spicy Oxtail Stew recipe? Tag us!