Roasted Vegetable Risotto
This risotto dish is packed full of comfort! With chunky, oven-roasted veggies in a rich, tomatoey sauce, the whole family will love the flavours in this slimming friendly dinner.
Also in these categories:
For the full list of ingredients and comprehensive instructions, please see the recipe card below. Before you scroll, there’s important stuff in the blurb!
Comfort food alert! Who doesn’t love a warming bowl of risotto? Our Roasted Vegetable Risotto comes packed with lots of chunky, nutritious veggies, so it’s full of good stuff that’ll satisfy the whole family.
Like any risotto dish, you need to keep stirring and stirring so that the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom of your pan. Trust us! The finished, creamy texture is well worth the effort. When the rice has softened, add the roasted, seasoned veggies and let the flavours combine.
Oof! It’s so rich and tomatoey. We’ve used courgette, aubergine, cherry tomatoes, onion and red pepper in our recipe, but you can use any combination of delicious veggies you’d like. Don’t forget to serve with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese!
What diets is this Roasted Vegetable Risotto suitable for?
This Roasted Vegetable Risotto can be made gluten free as long as you swap out the following ingredients for gluten-free versions;
- Vegetable stock cube
Roasted Vegetable Risotto can be enjoyed on vegetarian, vegan and dairy-free diets, as long as you substitute the Parmesan cheese for suitable alternatives.
Please make sure to double or triple check all of your ingredients if you’re cooking for people with allergies.
Do you need any special ingredients to make Roasted Vegetable Risotto?
To prepare this Roasted Vegetable Risotto for gluten-free diets, swap out the vegetable stock cubes for gluten-free alternatives.
By using a vegan Italian hard cheese, you can prepare this risotto for vegetarian, vegan and dairy-free diets.
Send us a Hint or Tip
We love hearing from you, submit any tips or tricks you have for this dish and we’ll review them and add some of them here. Just click here.
SEND US a HINT & TIP, Or QUOTE for this recipe
we have your picture
Now we have your Hint & tip
we’ll check them over.
- Review We’ll review your Hint & Tip, and see if its suitable to use on the website.
- Name: %name%
- Recipe: %recipeName%
YOUR HINTS & TIPS
Due to the large number of submissions we recieve we’re afraid we’ll only inform you if we use it on the Recipe page - then we’ll send you some swag…
(Please remember others may of had the same idea as you!)
‘So much flavour in this dish 😋’
This post contains affiliate links: what this means
How many calories are in this Roasted Vegetable Risotto?
There are 274 calories per portion in this Roasted Vegetable Risotto, which means it falls into our Everyday Light category.
To cut down the amount of calories even more, you can simply halve the portion size and serve with a healthy accompaniment!
This Roasted Vegetable Risotto is perfect if you’re following a calorie controlled diet, and fits well with any one of the major diet plans such as Weight Watchers.
As a guide, an average man needs around 2,500kcal (10,500kJ) a day to maintain a healthy body weight. For an average woman, that figure is around 2,000kcal (8,400kJ) a day. Obviously, if your goal is to lose weight then you might want to adjust these slightly! You can read more about these recommendations on the NHS website.
Preheat the oven to 200ºC
For the roasted vegetables: Place the vegetables on a baking tray and spray with low calorie cooking spray. Sprinkle over the onion granules, basil, oregano and thyme and give the tray a good shake to distribute the herbs. Place in the oven and cook for 30 minutes until the vegetables are soft and roasted.
For the risotto: While the vegetables are roasting, spray a large saucepan with low calorie cooking spray and add the onion and garlic and fry for a few minutes until softening.
Combine the boiling water, stock cube, passata, chopped tomatoes and tomato puree in a large heatproof jug.
Add the rice to the saucepan and stir to combine with the onion and garlic.
Gradually add the stock and tomato mixture to the pan 250ml at a time. Stir frequently and continue to add more stock as it reduces in the saucepan, this should take around 20 minutes.
When the rice is soft and cooked, stir through the roasted vegetables. Scatter over the chopped basil and sprinkle over the Parmesan cheese. Serve.
What could I serve with this Roasted Vegetable Risotto?
Roasted Vegetable Risotto is filling enough to be enjoyed as a main meal. For a special occasion, why not serve it as the main course as part of an Italian-themed feast alongside these dishes;
How do you know when Roasted Vegetable Risotto is cooked?
You should cook this Roasted Vegetable Risotto until the stock has reduced and the rice is soft and cooked through. This will take around 20 minutes.
To keep your family safe, the advice here in the UK is to cook food until it has reached 70°C and stayed at that temperature for 2 minutes.
How long can you keep Roasted Vegetable Risotto in the fridge?
Rice can be a source of serious food poisoning as it can contain heat resistant spores that may turn into bacteria if it’s not stored properly.
You should always take extra care when cooling and reheating dishes that contain rice.
- Make sure it’s cooled and refrigerated as soon as possible after cooking.
- Use chilled rice within a day.
- Always reheat until piping hot, and never more than once.
Can I freeze Roasted Vegetable Risotto?
As when keeping rice in the fridge, make sure to do the following if you plan to freeze it:
- Cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within one hour) then freeze it immediately. You can split larger portions up into smaller batches to cool quicker.
- Freeze as soon as the rice is cold.
- When you reheat any rice, always check it is steaming hot all the way through.
- Don’t reheat cooked rice more than once.
How do I reheat Roasted Vegetable Risotto?
From chilled: Place in a microwave proof container with loosely fitting lid and heat for 4-7 minutes until piping hot.
From frozen: Allow to defrost, and heat covered in the microwave for 3-5 minutes then stir. Cook for a further 5-7 minutes until piping hot.
For more information about reheating rice please take a look at the NHS website.
PRE-ORDER Our NEW cookbook Budget NOW
Roasted Vegetable Risotto
- KCals 274
- Carbs 49G
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC
- For the roasted vegetables: Place the vegetables on a baking tray and spray with low calorie cooking spray. Sprinkle over the onion granules, basil, oregano and thyme and give the tray a good shake to distribute the herbs. Place in the oven and cook for 30 minutes until the vegetables are soft and roasted.
- For the risotto: While the vegetables are roasting, spray a large saucepan with low calorie cooking spray and add the onion and garlic and fry for a few minutes until softening.
- Combine the boiling water, stock cube, passata, chopped tomatoes and tomato puree in a large heatproof jug.
- Add the rice to the saucepan and stir to combine with the onion and garlic.
- Gradually add the stock and tomato mixture to the pan 250ml at a time. Stir frequently and continue to add more stock as it reduces in the saucepan, this should take around 20 minutes.
- When the rice is soft and cooked, stir through the roasted vegetables. Scatter over the chopped basil and sprinkle over the Parmesan cheese. Serve.
Looking for Slimming World Syns or Weight Watchers (WW) Points?
With ever-changing plans and point calculations, we have made the decision to remove WW Points from the website - referring to your individual plan or advice from your consultant is always going to give the most accurate results.
We agreed with Slimming World to remove their trademarked terms from our website
If you’ve made Roasted Vegetable Risotto and love it, let us know by tagging us!
See what others have to say
Join the conversation
Comment or ask our advice