Creamy Butter Chicken
A Creamy Butter Chicken dish might seem impossible if you're counting calories, but never fear – this slimming recipe is perfect no matter what plan you're following!
For the full list of ingredients and comprehensive instructions, please see the recipe card at the end of this post. Before you scroll, there’s important stuff to know in the blurb!
Normally, butter chicken is packed full of… well, butter! Although you’d never believe it, there’s no real butter in our version but it’s still just as creamy.
We used to love a takeaway before we started our slimming journey and in our opinion there’s nothing better than a beautiful, warm creamy curry on a cold winters day. We’ve used almond flour and fat free natural yoghurt to give this Creamy Butter Chicken its creamy sauce and you can easily adjust the amount of chilli powder to give this dish more or less of a kick!
What diets is this Creamy Butter Chicken suitable for?
This Creamy Butter Chicken recipe can be made dairy free as long as you swap out the following ingredients for dairy free alternatives;
- Reduced fat spread
- Fat free natural yoghurt
- Creme fraiche
It can also be made gluten free by swapping the following ingredients for gluten free alternatives;
- Chicken stock cubes
Please make sure to double or triple check all of your ingredients if you’re cooking for people with allergies.
How Weight Watchers friendly is this Creamy Butter Chicken?
- You need to count 4 Points per portion of this Creamy Butter Chicken recipe if you’re on WW Green.
- You need to count 2 Points per portion of this Creamy Butter Chicken recipe if you’re on WW Blue.
- You need to count 2 Points per portion of this Creamy Butter Chicken recipe if you’re on WW Purple.
Don’t forget to add on Points for whatever you decide to serve it with, though it would work well with just vegetables!
What do I need to make this Creamy Butter Chicken?
This post contains affiliate links. Find out what this means.
You’ll need a food processor or a stick blender to make this Creamy Butter Chicken dish and you can pick either of these up over on Amazon.
We’ve used a stick blender for this recipe and it’s one of our favourite kitchen gadgets – we use it for loads of our other curry recipes as well!
The Secret Ingredient!
We usually use almonds for this and blend them until fine. The only issue with using almonds is how high they are in calories and Points! 100g is around 600 calories, which is CRAZY! So instead of using almonds we use Sukrin Almond Flour instead because at just 315 calories per 100g it is SO much lower. Other almond flours probably won’t be this low as the almonds are not de-fattened like Sukrin.
This post contains affiliate links: what this means
Finely chop the garlic, ginger and onion using a food processor or stick blender, then gently sauté in the low calorie cooking spray until soft and coloured slightly.
Puree the tomatoes, almond flour, tomato paste, stock cubes and water together, then add it to the pan.
Add the chicken, yoghurt, lime juice, spices, and reduced fat spread then stir well.
Bring up to the boil, stirring continuously, then cover and simmer on LOW for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
After 15-20 minutes check to see if the chicken is cooked through. If not let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
Serve over boiled rice.
What could I serve with this Creamy Butter Chicken?
This Creamy Butter Chicken works really well when served alongside lots of fluffy, boiled rice as well as any of the following dishes:
How do you know when this Creamy Butter Chicken is cooked?
You’ll need to cook this Creamy Butter Chicken for around 25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Standard advice here in the UK is to cook food until it has reached 70°C and stayed at that temperature for 2 minutes. This is to keep your family safe.
How long can you keep this Creamy Butter Chicken in the fridge?
Once you’ve put it out, ideally you should eat it within 4 hours.
If you allow any leftovers to cool, make sure to refrigerate in a container with a lid and chill. You can keep leftovers of this Creamy Butter Chicken in the fridge for approximately 3 days or so.
Can I freeze this Creamy Butter Chicken recipe?
Yes you can! This recipe can be frozen, but please remember to do the following;
- Freeze it as soon as it is cold enough.
- Use a container or bag that is suitable for freezing.
Don’t forget to add a label with what it is, and on what date you put it in the freezer!
How do I reheat this Creamy Butter Chicken recipe?
From chilled: Place in a microwave proof container with loosely fitting lid and heat for 4-7 minutes until piping hot.
From frozen: Allow to defrost, and heat covered in the microwave for 3-5 minutes then stir. Cook for a further 5-7 minutes until piping hot.
Our NEW cookbook Everyday Light is OUT NOW!
Creamy Butter Chicken
A Creamy Butter Chicken dish might seem impossible if you're counting calories, but never fear - this slimming recipe is perfect no matter what plan you're following!
- KCals 210
- Carbs 9G
- 4 Green
- 2 Blue
- 2 Purple
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp garam masala you can also use curry powder
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp chilli powder or fresh chilli if you prefer
For the Curry
- 4 chicken breast around 600-700g/1.5lb, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 or 4 sprays low calorie cooking spray
- 1-2 centimetre ginger
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp reduced fat spread
- 60 g Sukrin Almond Flour
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree no added oil
- 3 tbsp fat free natural yoghurt
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 lime Juiced
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- spice mix as above
- 1 tbsp creme fraiche Optional - add with the yoghurt for extra creamyness
We use a fan assisted oven for all of our recipes. Click here for our oven temperature conversion guide.
Please do not screenshot this. Recipes are updated often
LOOKING FOR SLIMMING WORLD SYNS?
We agreed with Slimming World to remove their trademarked terms from our websiteFind out why here
- Finely chop the garlic, ginger and onion using a food processor or stick blender, then gently sauté in the low calorie cooking spray until soft and coloured slightly.
- Puree the tomatoes, almond flour, tomato paste, stock cubes and water together, then add it to the pan.
- Add the chicken, yoghurt, lime juice, spices, and reduced fat spread then stir well.
- Bring up to the boil, stirring continuously, then cover and simmer on LOW for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 15-20 minutes check to see if the chicken is cooked through. If not let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve over boiled rice.
Love this Creamy Butter Chicken recipe? Tag us!