Creamy Pepper Sauce
This Creamy Pepper Sauce is the best slimming friendly accompaniment to steak – especially if you're counting calories or following a diet plan like Weight Watchers.
- diane sauce,
- healthy eating,
- mustard sauce,
- pepper sauce,
- smart points,
- weight watchers,
- Everyday Light,
- Not Suitable For Freezing,
- Roast Dinner,
- Sauces & Dressings,
- Snacks and Sides,
For the full list of ingredients and comprehensive instructions, please see the recipe card at the end of this post. Before you scroll, there’s important stuff to know in the blurb!
Our slimming friendly take on the classic steak accompaniment Creamy Pepper Sauce is so tasty that you’d never guess it was low on calories!
Although traditionally served with steak, this sauce is super versatile and is delicious when served with pretty much any meat or veg. It’s a really easy way to jazz up a meal and a fantastic alternative to gravy – try it with your roast dinner, trust us!
You could make this Creamy Pepper Sauce without the onions and the mushrooms if you wanted, but we really think that it adds an extra depth of flavour and they’re chopped so finely that you won’t really notice that they’re there.
What diets is this Creamy Pepper Sauce suitable for?
This recipe is suitable if you’re gluten free as long as you swap out the following ingredients for gluten free versions;
- Stock cube
- Worcestershire sauce
Please make sure to double or triple check all of your ingredients if you’re cooking for people with allergies.
How Weight Watchers friendly is this Creamy Pepper Sauce?
- You need to count 1 Point per portion of this Creamy Pepper Sauce recipe if you’re on WW Green.
- You need to count 1 Point per portion of this Creamy Pepper Sauce recipe if you’re on WW Blue.
- You need to count 1 Point per portion of this Creamy Pepper Sauce recipe if you’re on WW Purple.
Do you need any special ingredients to make Creamy Pepper Sauce?
We use Xanthan Gum to thicken this sauce. It’s a gluten free thickening agent which we use instead of cornflour and you only need a tiny, weeny bit!
This post contains affiliate links: what this means
You’ll need a good whisk for this recipe. We love this one from Amazon as it folds flat which means that storage is super easy!
Mist a large frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and heat up. Throw in the onions and mushrooms, and cook until browned.
Add the pepper and Worcestershire sauce and cook for a further minute.
Add the stock to the pan and cook for a further 3 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and add the quark, keep stirring until it’s completely incorporated.
Place 200ml of the sauce into a jug and whisk in the xanthan gum a 1/4 of a tsp at a time. You will need to whisk well – and keep whisking!
Return the sauce to the pan and stir well – it will thicken it even more.
Gradually raise the heat, making sure to stir the sauce till it’s bubbling. Taste and check the seasoning. Add more salt and pepper to taste and then serve!
What should you should serve with this Creamy Pepper Sauce?
This sauce will go with pretty much anything you fancy – here are some suggestions:
How do you know when this Creamy Pepper Sauce is cooked?
You should cook this sauce until the mushrooms and onions are tender, and the sauce is thick and glossy, which should take around 10 minutes on the hob.
Standard advice here in the UK is to cook food until it has reached 70°C and stayed at that temperature for 2 minutes. This is to keep your family safe.
How long can you keep Creamy Pepper Sauce in the fridge?
Once you’ve served this sauce, you should ideally eat it straight away.
If you allow any left overs to cool, make sure to refrigerate in a container with a lid and chill. You can keep leftovers of Creamy Pepper Sauce in the fridge for approximately 3 days or so.
Can I freeze this Creamy Pepper Sauce?
This recipe isn’t suitable for freezing – it’s super quick to make from fresh so will be ready in a jiffy!
How do I reheat this Creamy Pepper Sauce?
From chilled: Place the sauce in a small saucepan and reheat on a very low heat until piping hot. This will take around 5 minutes. Be careful not to heat too quickly as it may split.
PRE-ORDER our second planner NOW!
Creamy Pepper Sauce
This Creamy Pepper Sauce is the best slimming friendly accompaniment to steak – especially if you’re counting calories or following a diet plan like Weight Watchers.
- KCals 42
- Carbs 8G
- 1 Green
- 1 Blue
- 1 Purple
- 300 ml beef stock 1/2 a beef stock cube dissolved in boiling water
- 2 tbsp quark
- ½ brown onion chopped very finely
- 3 mushrooms chopped very finely
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ tsp xanthan gum
- low calorie cooking spray
- a dash of Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
We use a fan assisted oven for all of our recipes. Click here for our oven temperature conversion guide.
Please do not screenshot this. Recipes are updated often
- Mist a large frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and heat up. Throw in the onions and mushrooms, and cook until browned
- Add the pepper and Worcestershire sauce and cook for a further minute
- Add the stock to the pan and cook for a further 3 minutes
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the quark. Keep stirring until it's fully incorporated
- Place 200ml of the sauce into a jug and whisk in the xanthan gum a 1/4 of a tsp at a time. You will need to whisk well - and keep whisking!
- Return the sauce to the pan and stir will - it will thicken it a bit more.
- Gradually raise the heat, making sure to stir the sauce till it's bubbling. Taste and check the seasoning. Add more salt and pepper to taste and then serve!
LOOKING FOR SLIMMING WORLD SYNS?
We agreed with Slimming World to remove their trademarked terms from our websiteFind out why here