This Meatball Marinara is perfect for the whole family, in fact it's that good they probably won't even realise it's a Slimming World friendly meal.
- healthy eating,
- smart points,
- weight watchers,
- Batch Cook,
- Batch Cooking Friendly,
- Dairy Free,
- Everyday Light,
- Gluten Free,
- Low Carb,
- Quick Meals,
- Suitable For Freezing
For the full list of ingredients and comprehensive instructions, please see the recipe card at the end of this post. Before you scroll, there’s important stuff to know in the blurb!
Marinara sauce is an Italian recipe made with tomatoes, garlic, herbs and onions. Like many traditional Italian dishes, there are many variations, but our version is packed full of vegetables…which can only be a good thing, right?
We used shop bought, low-fat meatballs for this Meatball Marinara recipe, but you could make your own using 5% minced beef.
We like to use good quality chopped tomatoes because we’ve found that some cheaper brands can be watery and less flavoursome. If you are going to make a traditional Italian dish, you really do need traditional Italian tomatoes.
What diets is this Meatball Marinara suitable for?
This Meatball Marinara recipe is suitable for a dairy free diet.
It can be made gluten free as long as you swap out the following ingredients for gluten free versions;
- Vegetable stock cube
Please make sure to double or triple check all of your ingredients if you’re cooking for people with allergies.
How Weight Watchers friendly is this Meatball Marinara recipe?
- You need to count 3 Points per portion of this Meatball Marinara recipe if you’re on WW Green.
- You need to count 3 Points per portion of this Meatball Marinara recipe if you’re on WW Blue.
- You need to count 3 Points per portion of this Meatball Marinara recipe if you’re on WW Purple.
Do you need any special ingredients to make this Meatball Marinara recipe?
This post contains affiliate links. Find out what this means.
This recipe does not require any special ingredients.
Sauté the onions and garlic in a few sprays of low calorie cooking spray, until they start to soften.
When the onion starts to soften, add the meatballs, carrots and celery and continue to cook until they start to brown.
Add the courgettes and mushrooms, and allow to cook for a few minutes.
Add the herbs, tomato puree and chopped tomatoes. Stir well.
Mix the stock cube in about 100ml of boiling water, then add that to the pan. Mix well, then bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer for 15-20 minutes stirring occasionally.
Serve 6 meatballs per portion with spaghetti, pasta, rice slimming world chips or whatever you fancy.
What can I serve with this Meatball Marinara recipe?
How do you know when this Meatball Marinara recipe is cooked?
You should cook this Meatball Marinara until it has a thick and rich sauce. This will take around 20 minutes.
How long can you keep this Meatball Marinara in the fridge?
Once you’ve put it out, ideally you should eat it within 4 hours.
If you allow any leftovers to cool, make sure to refrigerate in a container with a lid and chill. You can keep leftovers of this Meatball Marinara in the fridge for approximately 3 days or so.
Can I freeze this Meatball Marinara recipe?
Yes you can! This recipe can be frozen, but please remember to do the following;
- Freeze it as soon as it is cold enough.
- Use a container or bag that is suitable for freezing.
Don’t forget to add a label with what it is, and on what date you put it in the freezer!
How do I reheat this Meatball Marinara?
From chilled: Place in a microwave proof container with a loosely fitting lid and heat for 4-7 minutes until piping hot.
From frozen: Allow to defrost, and heat covered in the microwave for 3-5 minutes then stir. Cook for a further 5-7 minutes until piping hot.
Our NEW cookbook Everyday Light is OUT NOW!
This Meatball Marinara is perfect for the whole family, in fact it’s that good they probably won’t even realise it’s a Slimming World friendly meal.
- KCals 335
- Carbs 27G
- 3 Green
- 3 Blue
- 3 Purple
- 18 low fat meatballs
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 large carrots chopped finely
- 1 onion chopped finely
- 1 stick celery chopped finely
- 4 good sized mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 courgette finely diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 good pinch italian herbs or 1 handful of fresh. chopped basil and some dried oregano
- low calorie cooking spray
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- freshly ground black pepper optional to taste
- salt optional to taste
We use a fan assisted oven for all of our recipes. Click here for our oven temperature conversion guide.
Please do not screenshot this. Recipes are updated often
LOOKING FOR SLIMMING WORLD SYNS?
We agreed with Slimming World to remove their trademarked terms from our websiteFind out why
- Sauté the onions and garlic in a few sprays of low calorie cooking spray, until they start to soften.
- When the onion starts to soften, add the meatballs, carrots and celery and continue to cook until they start to brown.
- Add the courgettes and mushrooms, and allow to cook for a few minutes.
- Add the herbs, tomato puree and chopped tomatoes. Stir well.
- Mix the stock cube in about 100ml of boiling water, then add that to the pan. Mix well, then bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover with a lid and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Serve 6 meatballs per portion with spaghetti, pasta, rice slimming world chips or whatever you fancy.
Love this Meatball Marinara recipe? Tag us!