Lamb and Pearl Barley Risotto
This Lamb and Pearly Barley Risotto is a great, slimming friendly way of using up some leftovers – perfect if you’re counting calories or following Weight Watchers.
Also in these categories:
For the full list of ingredients and comprehensive instructions, please see the recipe card below. Before you scroll, there’s important stuff in the blurb!
We’re not ashamed to admit that we’re total bargain hunters and with that comes a love of being thrifty! This Lamb and Pearl Barley Risotto is thrift on a plate, without compromising 0n flavour.
Traditional risotto can be seen as quite a heavy meal for the warmer months, but we’ve found that using pearl barley instead of rice gives it a less dense texture but still maintains the creaminess of a rice based dish. Using pearl barley instead of rice also means that this dish can be left on the hob to cook without constant stirring – easy!
You can use any leftover lamb in this recipe as long as you make sure that all visible fat has been removed, which means it’s fab for using up any leftovers. Could this recipe get any better?!
What diets is this Lamb and Pearl Barley Risotto suitable for?
This Lamb and Pearl Barley Risotto is suitable for dairy free diets.
Please make sure to double or triple check all of your ingredients if you’re cooking for people with allergies.
How Weight Watchers friendly is this Lamb and Pearl Barley Risotto recipe?
- You need to count 12 Points per portion of this Lamb and Pearl Barley Risotto recipe if you’re on WW Green.
- You need to count 12 Points per portion of this Lamb and Pearl Barley Risotto recipe if you’re on WW Blue.
- You need to count 12 Points per portion of this Lamb and Pearl Barley Risotto recipe if you’re on WW Purple.
Do you need any special ingredients to make this Lamb and Pearl Barley Risotto?
You don’t really need anything special to make this dish apart from the pearl barley, which you can find in your local supermarket
What could I serve with this Lamb and Pearl Barley Risotto?
This Lamb and Pearl Barley Risotto really is a meal in itself, but it also works really well when served alongside any of the following accompaniments:
How do you know when this Lamb and Pearl Barley Risotto is cooked?
You should cook this Lamb and Pearl Barley Risotto for around an hour or until the lamb is cooked through and the pearl barley is tender.
Standard advice here in the UK is to cook food until it has reached 70°C and stayed at that temperature for 2 minutes. This is to keep your family safe.
How long can you keep this Lamb and Pearl Barley Risotto in the fridge?
Once you’ve put it out, ideally you should eat it within 4 hours.
If you allow any leftovers to cool, make sure to refrigerate in a container with a lid and chill. You can keep leftovers of Lamb and Pearl Barley Risotto in the fridge for approximately 2 days or so.
Can I freeze this Lamb and Pearl Barley Risotto?
No, we wouldn’t recommend freezing this recipe.
How do I reheat this Lamb and Pearl Barley Risotto?
From chilled: Place in a microwave proof container with loosely fitting lid and heat for 4-7 minutes until piping hot.
PRE-ORDER our third Cookbook NOW
Lamb and Pearl Barley Risotto
This Lamb and Pearly Barley Risotto is a great, slimming friendly way of using up some leftovers - perfect if you're counting calories or following Weight Watchers.
- KCals 557
- Carbs 51G
- WW Points:
- 12 Green
- 12 Blue
- 12 Purple
- Cut the lamb into bite sized pieces and brown for 5 minutes with a little low calorie cooking spray in a large saucepan.
- Add the chopped onion and crushed garlic and cook for a further 3 minutes, being careful to not let the garlic burn.
- Stir in the ground cumin and ground turmeric and cook for 1 minute.
- Turn down the heat and add the Alpro Coconut Milk Drink, stock, pearl barley and half the chopped mint. Season to taste. Put a lid on and cook for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the petit pois and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, serve immediately. Sprinkle the remaining mint on top and garnish with a bundle of pea shoots.
LOOKING FOR SLIMMING WORLD SYNS?
We agreed with Slimming World to remove their trademarked terms from our websiteFind out why here
Love this Lamb and Pearl Barley Risotto recipe? Tag us!