Liver and Onion Gravy
For the full list of ingredients and comprehensive instructions, please see the recipe card at the end of this post. Before you scroll, there’s important stuff to know in the blurb!
This slimming friendly Liver with Onion Gravy is a quick accompaniment to a midweek dinner, great if you are calorie counting or following a plan like Weight Watchers!
This Liver with Onion Gravy recipe is so quick and easy. You can have it prepared and cooked in under 30 minutes! If you’re not keen on Liver, you should try our Meatballs and Gravy.
Liver with Onion Gravy is a traditional British dish that has been around since the 19th century and has even been served as breakfast.
Liver is really healthy because it contains vitamins A, B and C, as well as other vitamins and minerals.
If you want the gravy thicker you can add a couple of teaspoons of corn flour or a tiny bit of xanthan gum. If you do choose to have it thicker, don’t forget to adjust the calories and Points!
Liver is ridiculously cheap, which means you can make this Liver with Onion Gravy for less than £1 per serving. Fantastic if you’re on a budget!
What diets is this Liver and Onion Gravy suitable for?
This Liver and Onion Gravy recipe is suitable for dairy free diets.
If you are following a gluten free diet make sure that you use gluten free stock cubes.
Please make sure to double and triple check all of your ingredients if you’re cooking for people with allergies.
How Weight Watchers friendly is this Liver and Onion Gravy recipe?
Weight Watchers’ new PersonalPoints plan calculates each individual’s Points allowance based on their unique food preferences and goals. This means we’re no longer able to offer exact WW points for our recipes.
The good news is that all of our recipes are still Weight Watchers friendly! If you have any questions about your Points budgets or you’re unsure how a certain recipe will fit into your plan, please reach out to Weight Watchers directly.
Do you need any special ingredients to make this Liver and Onion Gravy?
You don’t need any special ingredients to enjoy this recipe.
Liver and Onion Gravy
This slimming friendly Liver with Onion Gravy is a quick midweek dinner, great if you are calorie counting or following a plan like Weight Watchers!
- KCals 247
- Carbs 12G
- WW Points:
- 5 Green
- 5 Blue
- 5 Purple
- Spray a decent size frying pan with some low calorie cooking spray and place on a high heat.
- Peel the onions. Chop one of them roughly and cut the other one into slices. Peel and chop the carrot.
- Season the liver with a little sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Carefully put the liver in the hot pan and cook for 2-3 minutes. Turn each piece and cook for another 2 or 3 minutes.
- Remove the liver from the pan and set aside. Spray the pan with some more low calorie cooking spray. Cook the onion slices until they start to soften and colour. Remove them from the pan and set aside with the liver.
- Add the carrots, chopped onion and stock to the pan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. When the onions and carrot are cooked blitz them with a stick blender until smooth. The gravy may be a little orange due to the carrot, so add a couple of drops of gravy browning if you want
- Put the liver and cooked onions back into the gravy and cook for another few minutes. Check the liver is cooked to your liking and serve.
Love this Liver and Onion Gravy recipe? Tag us!