You can still enjoy Pulled Pork even when calorie counting or following a diet plan like Weight Watchers thanks to this slimming friendly recipe!
Pulled pork is my idea of heaven, what’s even better is Pulled Pork with a delicious slimming friendly BBQ sauce. Just writing this is making me salivate!
For the full list of ingredients and comprehensive instructions, please see the recipe card at the end of this post. Before you scroll, there’s important stuff in the blurb 👍
If you like Pulled Pork, be sure to check out some of these similar recipes too;
How many Calories are in this Pulled Pork?
Each portion of this Pulled Pork recipe is only 395 calories! This means it falls into our Everyday Light recipe category. You can find all of our other Everyday Light recipes here.
This Pulled Pork easily fits into a calorie controlled diet, as well as any one of the major diet plans such as Weight Watchers.
As a guide, an average man needs around 2,500kcal (10,500kJ) a day to maintain a healthy body weight. For an average woman, that figure is around 2,000kcal (8,400kJ) a day. Obviously, if your goal is to lose weight then you might want to adjust these slightly! You can read more about these recommendations on the NHS website.
What diets is Pulled Pork suitable for?
This Pulled Pork recipe is suitable if you’re gluten free as long as you use gluten free versions of the following ingredients;
- Stock cubes
- Worcestershire Sauce
- BBQ Seasoning
You can enjoy this recipe if you’re dairy free, but make sure to double check the BBQ seasoning you use – some may contain milk powder.
Please make sure to double, and triple check all of your ingredients if you’re cooking for people with allergies.
How Weight Watchers friendly is this Pulled Pork recipe?
There are only 5 Points in a serving of this Pulled Pork, making it a great option for anyone following the WW plan! Serve it with some Zero Point roasted veggies for a light weeknight dinner.
How to Make Pulled Pork
This Pulled Pork recipe is quite simple to make! Here’s a summary;
For the Pork
- Cut the pork shoulder in half and trim all excess fat – there will be quite a bit!
- Mix the salt and pepper with the BBQ Seasoning & rub it all over the pork. Make sure to massage. You can place the pork in the fridge for a few hours or use immediately.
- Place the Instant Pot into Sauté mode and spray with low calorie cooking spray. Brown the pork on all sides, don’t worry if the bottom of the pot browns. If your pressure cooker doesn’t have a sauté mode you can do this on the hob in a pan.
- Remove the pork from the pot & deglaze with a bit of the stock. Make sure all browned bit are off the bottom.
- Tip in the onions and cook until they soften. Add the pork back to the pot and pour in the stock and Worcestershire Sauce.
- Lock the lid, turn the valve to sealing and place the Instant Pot into Manual mode. Increase the time to 90. The pot will come to pressure and when it’s done so it’ll start to count down.
- Once finished, allow the pot to naturally release pressure for 15 minutes.
- Place the pork and onions on a plate and run the remaining juices through a fat separator to get rid of the fat. Return the juices to the pot, and put the pot into Sauté mode.
- Once the juices have reduced by half add in your BBQ sauce & simmer stirring frequently for another 5 minutes. Whilst this bubbles away pull your pork & onions with a couple of forks.
- Add the pork into the sauce & stir well. Place the pot into ‘Keep Warm’ if you want to go back for seconds. You probably will!!
For the BBQ Sauce
- Spray a frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and cook the onions and garlic until the onions are soft.
- Add the tomato puree & tinned tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes on high, stirring frequently.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients, lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, the sauce should thicken nicely.
- Place into a sterilised jar, and store in the fridge until ready to use. Use within a week.
What should you should serve with Pulled Pork?
This Pulled Pork is really versatile! We served it with Loaded Potato Skins and some slaw, but you could also try one of these options!
- Loaded Potato Skins
- Jacket Potato and Coleslaw
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Sandwiched between Cheesy Garlic Bread
- Mediterranean Roasted Cauliflower
You could even serve a tablespoon of this Pulled Pork on top of a burger! What about trying it with these Melt-in-the-Middle Burgers?
Whatever accompaniment you choose, don’t forget to account for the extra calories and/or other nutritional values.
Do you need any special ingredients to make Pulled Pork?
This post contains affiliate links. Find out what this means.
There’s a couple of things you will need to make this Pulled Pork.
Pork wise, we use shoulder for this Pulled Pork recipe, & trim it of most of the fat. To do this make sure to use a sharp knife, and take your time. Pork Leg is fine too, just not loin. It’ll turn out too dry.
BBQ Seasoning is a key ingredient in this recipe. There are a number of brands available, so you can pick one that fits into your diet.
We used the Schwartz Classic BBQ Seasoning which fits in well with many diet plans.
We made this recipe in an Instant Pot. It’s a pressure cooker with multiple functions. In my opinion, the Instant Pot is far superior to the other electric pressure cookers around!
You can do this in the slow cooker, but it’ll take 4-6 hours. On a busy day I’m not usually that organised, so I use the Instant Pot in pressure cooking mode.
It means instead of 4-6 hours, cooking the pork just takes 1 hour 30 minutes! It’s crazy how easy, how fast and how little washing up accumulates when you use it. One pot wonder. My kitchen saviour.
Can you cook Pulled Pork another way?
Yes! You can cook it in the Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker or in the Oven.
Pressure Cooker: 1.5 hours – see further instructions in the recipe card below.
Slow Cooker: 4-6 hours on a high setting
Oven: You could cook this in the oven in a casserole dish with a tight fitting lid, or in an oven tray with some foil tightly wrapped around the top. Cook for around 2-3 hours at 170-180°C, checking every 30 minutes or so.
How do you know when Pulled Pork is cooked?
You should cook this recipe until the meat literally falls apart when pulled apart with a pair of forks.
This should take approx 1.5 hours in the pressure cooker, 4-6 hours in the slow cooker (high) or 2-3 hours in the oven (170°C).
Standard advice here in the UK is to cook food until it has reached 70°C and stayed at that temperature for 2 minutes. This is to keep your family safe.
How long can you keep Campfire Stew in the fridge?
Once you’ve put it out, ideally you should eat it within 4 hours.
If you allow any left overs to cool, make sure to refrigerate in a container with a lid and chill. You can keep leftovers of Pulled Pork in the fridge for approximately 3 days or so.
Can I freeze Pulled Pork?
Yes you can! This recipe can be frozen, but please remember to do the following;
- Freeze it as soon as it is cold enough.
- Use a container or bag that is suitable for freezing. We suggest freezing individual portions into freezer bags. Make sure to include juice, as this will keep the pork moist when you reheat
Don’t forget to add a label with what it is, and on what date you put it in the freezer!
How do I reheat Pulled Pork?
From chilled: Place in a microwave proof container with loosely fitting lid and heat for 4-7 minutes until piping hot.
From frozen: Allow to defrost, and heat covered in the microwave for 3-5 minutes then stir. Cook for a further 5-7 minutes until piping hot.
Love this Pulled Pork recipe? Tag us!
Fallen off the wagon and need some motivation, or want to help others on their journey?
Our Facebook group is growing by the day. If you haven’t joined yet head over there and take a look. You wouldn’t want to miss out on the fun would you?
You might just find the inspiration you need from our awesome members. If you’ve joined already why not invite any friends that may find it helpful?
We are SO excited to announce that our second cookbook, Pinch of Nom: Everyday Light is being released on 12 December 2019 and is available for pre-order now!!! As the name suggests, this book is entirely focused on meals you can make every day that all come in at 400 calories or less…INCLUDING accompaniments! As ever, all the recipes have been tried and tested by our lovely army of recipe testers to ensure that they are amazing. Check out our cookbook page for more information! We are super excited to have released a 6 month food planner that works perfectly alongside our recipe book. Our 6 month planner features 26 recipes – which are not available anywhere else. We have all the details on our Planner page. We’ve been squirrelling away doing squirelly things behind the scenes and can finally announce that our very first cookbook is available NOW!! The book features 100 recipes – around 80 of them BRAND NEW and not available anywhere else. Full colour photographs, hardback, a quality book that will stand up to frequent use! Each recipe has been taste tested by twenty members of the Pinch of Nom community to ensure that they are amazing. Check out our cookbook page for more information!
Pre-Order Our Second Cookbook Now!
Looking for Slimming World Syns?
We agreed with Slimming World to remove their trademarked terms from our website. FIND OUT WHY HERE
Order Our 6 Month Food Planner Now!
Order Our Cookbook Now!
We are SO excited to announce that our second cookbook, Pinch of Nom: Everyday Light is being released on 12 December 2019 and is available for pre-order now!!!
As the name suggests, this book is entirely focused on meals you can make every day that all come in at 400 calories or less…INCLUDING accompaniments!There will be 100 NEW & EXCLUSIVE recipes for you to enjoy that are easy, delicious and make slimming hassle-free.
As ever, all the recipes have been tried and tested by our lovely army of recipe testers to ensure that they are amazing. Check out our cookbook page for more information!
We are super excited to have released a 6 month food planner that works perfectly alongside our recipe book.
Our 6 month planner features 26 recipes – which are not available anywhere else. We have all the details on our Planner page.
We’ve been squirrelling away doing squirelly things behind the scenes and can finally announce that our very first cookbook is available NOW!!
The book features 100 recipes – around 80 of them BRAND NEW and not available anywhere else. Full colour photographs, hardback, a quality book that will stand up to frequent use!
Each recipe has been taste tested by twenty members of the Pinch of Nom community to ensure that they are amazing. Check out our cookbook page for more information!