Mexican Chicken Nuggets
Spicy chicken nuggets coated in a panko breadcrumb. Served with a delicious feta cheese, chilli, yogurt and coriander dip.
- weight loss,
- weight watchers,
- Bakes and Roasts,
- Batch Cook,
- Batch Cooking Friendly,
- Everyday Light,
- Quick Meals,
- Snacks and Sides,
- Suitable For Freezing
For the full list of ingredients and comprehensive instructions, please see the recipe card at the end of this post. Before you scroll, there’s important stuff to know in the blurb!
These delicious Mexican Chicken Nuggets are a slightly more ‘grown up’ version of the classic family favourite. A crispy coating, juicy chicken and rich Mexican flavours combine for the ultimate chicken nugget without compromising on calories and points!
We’ve used panko breadcrumbs in this Mexican Chicken Nuggets recipe, which are slightly larger than typical flour breadcrumbs, so a little goes a long way. We’ve also added half a red chilli to this recipe but if you like a bit more heat, feel free to add more.
This recipe includes a really easy feta, chilli and coriander dip, but you can substitute this for ketchup or low fat mayo. Why not try a few combinations and let us know your favourite?
What diets are these Mexican Chicken Nuggets suitable for?
This Mexican Chicken Nuggets recipe can be made gluten free as long as you swap out the following ingredient for gluten free versions;
- Panko breadcrumbs
You could also make this recipe dairy free if you were to skip the feta dip or substitute for a dairy free alternative. For example, try our Pizza Dip which is dairy free.
Please make sure to double or triple check all of your ingredients if you’re cooking for people with allergies.
How Weight Watchers friendly is this Mexican Chicken Nuggets recipe?
- You need to count 8 Points per portion of this Mexican Chicken Nuggets recipe if you’re on WW Green.
- You need to count 6 Points per portion of this Mexican Chicken Nuggets recipe if you’re on WW Blue.
- You need to count 6 Points per portion of this Mexican Chicken Nuggets recipe if you’re on WW Purple.
Do you need any special ingredients to make Mexican Chicken Nuggets?
You’ll need panko breadcrumbs which you should be able to find in the baking section of most supermarkets.
This post contains affiliate links: what this means
Good quality baking trays are essential for this and many of our other recipes. A good one should last for years.
You’ll also need a couple of mixing bowls for the breadcrumb stage of this recipe. Collapsible bowls in different sizes are easy to store.
Preheat oven to 190c.
In a mixing bowl add garlic powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, 1/2 of the lime juice and mayonnaise and mix well.
Add chicken pieces and coat thoroughly. In a separate bowl, add the breadcrumbs, lime zest, black pepper and a pinch of salt.
Spray a baking tray with low calorie cooking spray then dip chicken into breadcrumbs one at a time and transfer to tray.
Spray the top of the chicken with low calorie cooking spray. Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown, turning halfway.
To make the dip, mix the feta, coriander, chilli, the remainder of the lime juice and yogurt in a small bowl.
Serve the cooked chicken with lime wedges and dip.
What could I serve with these Mexican Chicken Nuggets?
These nuggets would work great as part of a buffet table with a variety of dips, or with one of our delicious fries or rice recipes:
How do you know when Mexican Chicken Nuggets are cooked?
You should cook these Mexican Chicken Nuggets until they are golden brown and crispy. This should take 10-15 minutes.
Standard advice here in the UK is to cook food until it has reached 70°C and stayed at that temperature for 2 minutes. This is to keep your family safe.
How long can you keep Mexican Chicken Nuggets in the fridge?
Allow any leftovers to cool and make sure to refrigerate in a container with a lid and chill. You can keep leftovers of Mexican Chicken Nuggets in the fridge for approximately 3 days or so.
Can I freeze Mexican Chicken Nuggets?
Yes you can! This recipe can be frozen, but please remember to do the following;
- Freeze it as soon as it is cold enough.
- Use a container or bag that is suitable for freezing.
Don’t forget to add a label with what it is, and on what date you put it in the freezer!
How do I reheat Mexican Chicken Nuggets?
From chilled: Reheat in the oven at 190°c for 10-15 minutes, until piping hot.
From frozen: Allow to defrost overnight in the fridge, and reheat from chilled as above.
PRE-ORDER our second planner NOW!
Mexican Chicken Nuggets
Spicy chicken nuggets coated in a Panko breadcrumb. Served with a feta cheese, chilli, Greek yogurt and coriander dip.
- KCals 231
- Carbs 18G
- 8 Green
- 6 Blue
- 6 Purple
- 3 skinless chicken breasts 140g each, cut in 3-4cm pieces
- 72 g panko breadcrumbs
- 300 g reduced fat feta cheese
- 3 tbsp fat free yogurt
- 2 tbsp lighter than light mayonnaise
- 2 limes zested and juiced
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ fresh red chilli finely chopped
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 lime cut into wedges (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- low calorie cooking spray
We use a fan assisted oven for all of our recipes. Click here for our oven temperature conversion guide.
Please do not screenshot this. Recipes are updated often
LOOKING FOR SLIMMING WORLD SYNS?
We agreed with Slimming World to remove their trademarked terms from our websiteFind out why here
- Preheat oven to 190°c.
- In a mixing bowl, add garlic powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, 1/2 of the lime juice and mayonnaise and mix well.
- Add chicken pieces and coat thoroughly. In a separate bowl add the breadcrumb, lime zest, black pepper and a pinch of salt.
- Spray a baking tray with low calorie cooking spray then dip chicken into breadcrumbs one at a time and transfer to tray.
- Spray the top of the chicken with low calorie cooking spray. Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown, turning halfway.
- To make the dip, mix the feta, coriander, chilli, the remainder of the lime juice and yogurt in a small bowl.
- Serve the cooked chicken with lime wedges and the sauce.
Love these Mexican Chicken Nuggets? Tag us!